SIT40516 Certificate IV in Commercial Cookery Assignment Sample
UNIT: SITHKOP002 - PLAN AND COST BASIC MENUS
1. List three sources where you might obtain information on your organisation’s customer profile
and food preferences.
2. List 5 elements of detailed customer information that a business would find beneficial for
establishing a customer profile:
3. Why is it important to obtain information from customers about their preferences when
designing a menu? (in about 30-50 words).
4. Provide an example of food preferences for each of the following ethnic groups. Include a typical
or preferred service style and suggest three popular dishes for each group.
- Thai - Food preferences
- Preferred service style
- Three popular dishes
- French - Food preferences
- Preferred service style
- Three popular dishes
- USA - Food preferences
- Preferred service style
- Three popular dishes
- Indian - Food preferences
- Preferred service style
- Three popular dishes
- Italian - Food preferences
- Preferred service style
- Three popular dishes
5. Which aspects do you need to consider in terms of food cost and pricing when choosing the
following menu types?
- À la carte
- Table d’hôte
- Bistro style
6. List 3 key considerations that must be taken into account when designing and costing a menu.
7. Complete the following table with standard weights and measures. Please note an example is
worked out for you.
8. Complete the following yield tests, calculating the Net yield per Kg and the net portion cost for
each commodity based on the net cost per Kg and the portion size per kg provided
9. What is a Butcher’s test? About 80-100 words.
10. What is the average profit margin in the restaurant and catering business? Describe the two
types of profit margin in about 10-30 words.
11. How would the profit margins and menu type differ in a fine dining establishment compared to a
bistro or pub?
What would be cost factors you would need to consider for each of these operations?
12. How can you use seasonal availability to your advantage when designing menus?
13. List two advantages of using fresh local produce in a restaurant.
14. From which country does teppinyaki cuisine originate and which style of service does it use?
15. Describe what is meant by the term silver service.
16. What is the purpose of breakfast buffets? List 2 advantages of using a buffet set-up for
17. List any 6 service styles that are adopted by different food outlets. Give the characteristics of
each style in about 20-40 words each.
18. Describe continental cuisine in about 50 words.
19. List 4 popular Asian dishes.
21. Which of the following are the correct formulae to calculate food cost, food cost percentage and
sales price? State true or false
Food Cost = Sales Price : Purchase price
Food Cost % = Food Cost : Sales Price x 100
Food Cost % - Food Cost x Sales Price : 100
Sales Price = Targeted Food Cost Percentage x Food Cost : 100
Sales Price = Food Cost : Targeted Food Cost Percentage x 100
22. The following examples for calculating the mark-up and calculation factor for a product are:
Indicate true or false.
- Markup is the difference between your purchase price and your Sales Price
- If a bottle of wine costs you $10.00 and you sell it for $40.00 then you have a markup of $30.00 which
- equals 300%.
- If the markup percentage is 200 % and an item costs $20.00 the sales price is calculated as: 100%
- ($20.00) + 200% ($40.00) = $ 60.00.
- If the markup for a product is 275% the calculation factor to determine the Sales Price is 2.75
- If the markup for a product is 300% the calculation factor to determine the Sales Price is 4.
- If a product costs $12.00 and the markup is 300%, then the sales price is $36.00.
23. Customer characteristics vary according to a wide range of factors. Give general examples of
how each of the following characteristics will impact on your planning of menus and menu styles
in an establishment: (in about 20 words each)
24. List 3 types of cuisine commonly served in Australian restaurant of modern times:
25. Describe the popularity index in about 60-80 words. Specify the formula for popularity index.
26. What is a sales data index? (about 20 words)
27. Identify four ways you can get ongoing feedback from customers and others to improve menu
28. State what documents you can use to calculate the purchase price or cost per unit of each
29. Describe what a ‘customer survey’ is and how it can help you. (in about 40-50 words)
30. Identify the typical formats and inclusion of menus presented to customers
31. Match the events to the correct menus from the box below:
32. Seasonal products and commodities influence menu content. Explain how can you deal with this
in about 10-20 words.
33. List any 6 naming conventions and culinary terms for a variety of cuisines.
The three sources, from where information about the food preferences and customer profile of the organization can be obtained are the following:
o The current database of the customers
o Customer interviews conducted by the company
o Customer surveys conducted by the company
The five basic information required to conduct customer profiling of an organization includes the following:
o Age range
o Income range
o Social background
o Cultural background
According to Yalcinkaya,(2020), it is stated that information about customer preferences plays a crucial role in identifying the best suitable business decisions and strategies. It helps the business organizations to decide, appropriately on the right strategies to determine the potential business opportunities.
The food preferences for each of the groups are discussed below along with the preferred service style and popular dishes for the specific groups
Thai: food preferences: the typical aspect of Thai food includes a mixture of salty, sweetness, bitter, spicy, and sours (Qasim, 2015)
Preferred service style: The Thai people always prefer family-style, which includes serving the food items in common serving platters and putting more than one spoonful on the plate, at a time.
Three popular dishes: Tom Yum Goong, Som Tum and Pad Thai
French: food preferences: the French people prefer soup or salad with bread and a dessert, and tend to survive a long break in between lunch and dinner (Martínez-Torreset al.2015)
Preferred service style: the French people prefer serving many dishes at the same time and the table is largely filled with dishes
Three Popular Dishes :Boeuf Bourguignon, Potatoes Dauphinoise and Cassoulet
Food preferences: The USA people are casual by nature and prefer handy and quick filling foods, like Pizza (Fu et al.2015)
Preferred service style: the USA people prefer an informal style of serving food, with the neat placing of the dishes and the spoons
Three popular dishes: Apple Pie, The Hamburger, and Deep Dish Pizza
Indian: food preferences: The Indians prefer carbohydrate-rich foods and consumes multiple cuisines, based on the north and south culture (DE LORENZOet al.2017)
Preferred service style: the Indians always use the Right hand to serve and eat food and serve food with a lot of care and closeness
Three popular dishes: Mutton curry, Idli, Fish Curry
Food preferences: The Italians like the tango taste and prefers chili and tomato in their dishes (Fahleviet al.2019)
Preferred service style: The Italians prefer their chefs to be creative and the dishes are assembled and portioned at the table in front of each guest
Three popular dishes: Caprese Salad with Pesto Sauce, Panzanella, Bruschetta
A la Carte
This is a French term, which means preparing the menu, according to the preferences of the customers and orders placed by the customers. It offers a wider selection of food items and needs a more mise en place preparation, space, and time, wherein the dishes included are costlier (Saba et al.2019).
This is another French term that is used to refer to the concept of food from the host’s table (Hugheset al.2016). It includes a classified menu, wherein a complete meal at a fixed price is decided, regardless of how much is consumed.
This style refers to the Parisian-style restaurant concept, wherein simple meals are served, which includes wine and coffee within a causal and modest sitting and the table is set with casseroles and wine(Naderer, 2021).
o Preferences of the customers
o Income range
o Cultural influence
Beans 2kg, $20
Brocolli 1 kg , $3
Carrots 5kg, $4
Cauliflower 3kg, $15
Kohlrabi 4kg, $10
Spinach 6kg, $7
Onions 2kg, $3
Sirloin 10kg, $25
Loin of pork 5kg, $15
Leg of Lamb 4kg, $10
A butcher's test is a process, wherein the quality and total yield of fish, meat, and poultry can be evaluated. It is used by chefs and cooking experts to determine the true cost of the meat, which falls under the edible portion, and enable the concerned professional to make the best decision while comparing the same product, with varied items from different vendors (Smith et al.2015).
The two types of profit margin in restaurants include the net profit and the gross profit (Madeiraet al.2021). The average profit margin in restaurants can vary from 20% to 35%, based on the occupancy rate and average billing.
Restaurant profit margin is calculated by dividing the net profit by revenue and then multiplying it by hundred. Fine dining restaurant is more sophisticated unique and expensive with specific dedicated mean courses. On the other hand, a bistro or pub .has budget-friendly food and they do not maintain sophistication in terms of high-quality chef customization means and Stella customer service.
Consideration of seasons while designing a menu is important since raw ingredients in a particular season are fresh and they give better taste when used in the preparation of a meal (DiPietro, 2017). Local food can be easily available in the menu card, takes season availability as a consideration and new varieties can be made to satisfy customer appetite. It will also create the opportunity to make holiday-themed courses that will attract more customers to the restaurant.
Using local food for the preparation of meals in restaurants is better since
? The foods are fresh, they taste better, and have more nutritional values
? They support seasonal needs which can make it better for geographical location
The origin of teppanyaki-style of food is mainly from Japan. It is a style of Japanese culture where the chef and the cook enter into a good understanding relationship. Customers’ orders from the diner and food are prepared for them on the table on an iron plate and served to them on the spot where they are sitting.
Silver service is also named French service where the food is offered as a formal meal by the waiter with the use of a silver spoon and fork in one hand and the food items are served individually one by one on the diner's plate (Ali et al., 2021).
Breakfast is the first meal of the day and the main reason for the breakfast buffet is that it can provide the diners with more food and they can eat as much as they want (Yusof et al., 2018). Advantages of breakfast buffet system:
? It will offer people large varieties of food to have for the breakfast
? Dinosaurs can choose from the variety of nutritional food provided in the buffet according to their preference.
? Cart French service is where the food is prepared beside the table and cooked in front of the diners
? Banquet French service is where the platters of food are prepared inside the kitchen and then brought out to diners and served.
? Butler service stylish wear food on left on trays by servers to the guests who are seated with their utensils and they have to solve themselves
? Russian silver service is where the surface of the food on the platter and then they are passed on the table
? The American service style is where the letter is placed in the kitchen and the waiter wait to carry the food to the diner
? The buffet service style is self-serving where food is placed on the table and the guests have to help themselves with the food.
Continental food refers to those which are mainly made by European countries. Continental cuisine has dishes from French Italian and Spanish categories all clubbed together under the name of continental food (Bhuiyan&Iqrar, 2019). Their special ingredient is the use of olive oil, herbs, wine, and minimal spices.
- Chilly crab in Singapore
- Momos in the Himalayas
- Candied Haws in China
- Khantoke dinner in Thailand
- A la carte menus
- Du jour menus
- Fixed menus
- Buffet menus
- Cycle menus
1. Roast lamb (which is also known as the national cuisine of Australia) (Sinclair & Carr, 2018)
Meat pies is another famous cuisine often found to be served in most of the Australian restaurant
Steak and veggies is another, and one the most famous cuisine is served by the most of the hotel situated in Australia
Popularity index is considered as the number of a given food is ordered by the chosen guest from given alternatives. It is considered to be a useful tool while developing a menu. The popularity index is further used for forecasting the cuisine items.
The obtained formula to find out the popularity index of an particular dish from given alternatives is: (Popularity index= number of specific food item ordered, and sold/ number of total food items ordered, and sold) (Peng & JEMMOTT III, 2018)
The sales data index is referred to the obtained ratio between number of sales revenue generated in a particular year and total number of sales revenue generated in a base year (Vandevijvere et al., 2019)
Ongoing feedback of the guest, and consumers can be procured through allowing the guests to provide the feedback in the feedback note of the hotels, also consumers can provide their feedbacks and reviews on the website, and social media page of the company (Nicol, 2021).
Procurement, and assessing the feedbacks provided by the consumers is considered as one of most important tool to evaluate the quality of product, and service are being provided by the employers, in this context the quality of the food, and services which can be considered while making decision to bring relevant changes to further offer more consumer oriented services, and better quality of food.
The bill and inventory list can be used to evaluate the purchase price, and expenditure of per unit of each ingredient (Nicol, 2021).
Customer survey is consider as an effective tool, or method to procure primary quantitative data from the consumer by asking few survey questions regarding the quality of the product, and services, and by evaluating, and analysing the procured data using specific data analysing technique allow the employer what further changes they need to incorporate into (Nicol, 2021).
There are in general four types of menus, such as fixed menu, cycle menu, static menus, and la carte menus. However most common formats used while developing a menu is introducing the purpose of menu, and a welcome note, further segmentation of the course, and items included into those course, and their price, and preparation methods, and used ingredients.
Wedding reception_ Cyclical A la carte
Prison _meat ball in onion sauce
Fast food restaurant that serves Mexican food_Tachos, nachos, tortillas (Sinclair & Carr, 2018)
Often it is observed that the dish of an restaurant get highly influenced by the seasonal food ingredients, due seasonal food ingredients are highly available in the market at affordable price, and it can be procured as fresh, consists of nutritional attributes (APRILIANI, 2021).
1. A la carte
2. Au gratin
5. A point
6. Al dent
Ali, S. R. O., Norizan, S. N., Said, N. S. M., Mat, K. A., &Jislan, F. (2021). Assessing Customer Satisfaction Towards Service Quality in the Hospitality Industry. JurnalIntelek, 16(1), 67-73.
APRILIANI, S. P. R. (2021). AN ANALYSIS OF COMMUNICATION STRATEGIES USED BY THE LECTURERS IN MEDITERRANEAN DENPASAR BALI (Doctoral dissertation, UNIVERSITAS PENDIDIKAN GANESHA).
Bhuiyan, M. M. M., &Iqrar, M. (2019). How ethnic restaurants' product and service quality affects customer satisfaction: A study on Indian sub-continental restaurants in Lappeenranta.
Bodrunova, S. S., & Yakunin, A. (2018, July). Impact of menu complexity upon user behavior and satisfaction in information search. In International Conference on Human Interface and the Management of Information (pp. 55-66). Springer, Cham.
DE LORENZO, A., ISEPPI, L., LEPELLERE, M. A., & CHANG, T. F. M. (2017).Food styles and the dynamics of the Mediterranean adequacy index. New Medit: Mediterranean Journal of Economics, Agriculture and Environment= Revue Me?diterrane?enned?Economie Agriculture et Environment, 16(3), 28.
DiPietro, R. (2017). Restaurant and foodservice research: A critical reflection behind and an optimistic look ahead. International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management.
Fahlevi, M., Zuhri, S., Parashakti, R., &Ekhsan, M. (2019). Leadership Styles Of Food Truck Businesses. Journal of Research in Business, Economics, and Management, 13(2), 2437-2442.
Fu, H., Wu, D. C., Huang, S. S., Song, H., & Gong, J. (2015).Monetary or nonmonetary compensation for service failure?A study of customer preferences under various loci of causality. International Journal of Hospitality Management, 46, 55-64.
Hughes, S. O., Power, T. G., O’Connor, T. M., Orlet Fisher, J., & Chen, T. A. (2016).Maternal feeding styles and food parenting practices as predictors of longitudinal changes in weight status in Hispanic preschoolers from low-income families. Journal of obesity, 2016.
Madeira, A., Palrão, T., & Mendes, A. S. (2021).The Impact of Pandemic Crisis on the Restaurant Business. Sustainability, 13(1), 40.
Martínez-Torres, M. D. R., Rodriguez-Piñero, F., &Toral, S. L. (2015). Customer preferences versus managerial decision-making in open innovation communities: the case of Starbucks. Technology analysis & strategic management, 27(10), 1226-1238.
Naderer, B. (2021). Advertising Unhealthy Food to Children: on the Importance of Regulations, Parenting Styles, and Media Literacy. Current Addiction Reports, 8(1), 12-18.
Nicol, D. (2021). The power of internal feedback: Exploiting natural comparison processes. Assessment & Evaluation in Higher Education, 46(5), 756-778.
Peng, Y., & JEMMOTT III, J. B. (2018). Feast for the Eyes: Effects of Food Perceptions and Computer Vision Features on Food Photo Popularity. International Journal of Communication (19328036), 12.
Qasim, S. (2015).Airline service quality in Pakistan–A customer preferences approach. Pakistan Business Review, 17(1), 99-112.
Saba, A., Sinesio, F., Moneta, E., Dinnella, C., Laureati, M., Torri, L., ...&Spinelli, S. (2019). Measuring consumer's attitudes towards health and taste and their association with food-related lifestyles and preferences. Food quality and preference, 73, 25-37.
Schjøll, A., &Alfnes, F. (2017). Eliciting consumer preferences for credence attributes in a fine-dining restaurant. British Food Journal.
Sinclair, J., & Carr, B. (2018). Making a market for Mexican food in Australia. Journal of Historical Research in Marketing.
Smith, W., Butcher, E., Litvin, S. W., &Frash, R. (2015). Incorporating an instructional scaffolding approach into the classroom: Teaching for authentic learning in hospitality and tourism education. Journal of Teaching in Travel & Tourism, 15(3), 264-277.
Vandevijvere, S., Jaacks, L. M., Monteiro, C. A., Moubarac, J. C., Girling?Butcher, M., Lee, A. C., ... & Swinburn, B. (2019). Global trends in ultraprocessed food and drink product sales and their association with adult body mass index trajectories. Obesity Reviews, 20, 10-19.
Yalcinkaya, B. (2020). Customer Preferences in Small Fast-Food Businesses: A Multilevel Approach to Google Reviews Data.
Yusof, A., Othman, M., Ghazali, H., Awang, K. W., &Majid, M. A. A. (2018). Buffet Diners Dining Behavior: A Proposed Preliminary Conceptual Model. International Journal of Academic Research in Business and Social Sciences, 8(2).
Download Samples PDF
- PUBH6007 Program Design Implementation and Evaluation Report
- ITECH7407 Real Time Analytics Assignment
- PROJ 6012 Information Technology Report
- PUBH7033 Foundations of Public Health Assignment
- Roman vs Greek Architecture Essay Assignment
- HAS108 Health Assessment
- OPM400 Production and Operations Management Assignment
- EDUC1001 Language and Learning in Your Discipline Assignment
- PUBH6005 Epidemiology Report
- ENV101 Introduction To Events Assignment
- BMP4006 People and Performance Assignment
- BUSI1591 Leadership Professional Development and Career Management Assignment
- Big Data and Analytics Assignment
- MGT608 Business Law and International Contexts Assignment
- MCR007 Introduction To Project Management Assignment
- MGT602 Business Decision Making Process Case Study
- 7140SOH Health Policy in Organisations and Systems Assignment Sample
- NRSG374 Principles of Nursing Assignment
- CAM529 Introduction To Public Health Assignment
- CAM520 Global Health System Assignment
Academic Writing Services
- Urgent Assignment Help
- Writing Assignment for University
- College Assignment Help
- SPSS Assignment Help
- HND Assignment Help
- Architecture Assignment Help
- Total Assignment Help
- All Assignment Help
- My Assignment Help
- Student Assignment Help
- Instant Assignment Help
- Cheap Assignment Help
- Global Assignment Help
- Write My Assignment
- Do My Assignment
- Solve My Assignment
- Make My Assignment
- Pay for Assignment Help
- Financial Management Assignment Help
- Business Management Assignment Help
- Management Assignment Help
- Project Management Assignment Help
- Supply Chain Management Assignment Help
- Operations Management Assignment Help
- Risk Management Assignment Help
- Strategic Management Assignment Help
- Logistics Management Assignment Help
- Global Business Strategy Assignment Help
- Consumer Behavior Assignment Help
- MBA Assignment Help
- Portfolio Management Assignment Help
- Change Management Assignment Help
- Hospitality Management Assignment Help
- Healthcare Management Assignment Help
- Investment Management Assignment Help
- Market Analysis Assignment Help
- Corporate Strategy Assignment Help
- Conflict Management Assignment Help
- Marketing Management Assignment Help
- Strategic Marketing Assignment Help
- CRM Assignment Help
- Marketing Research Assignment Help
- Human Resource Assignment Help
- Business Assignment Help
- Business Development Assignment Help
- Business Statistics Assignment Help
- Business Ethics Assignment Help
- 4p of Marketing Assignment Help
- Pricing Strategy Assignment Help
- Finance Assignment Help
- Do My Finance Assignment For Me
- Financial Accounting Assignment Help
- Behavioral Finance Assignment Help
- Finance Planning Assignment Help
- Personal Finance Assignment Help
- Financial Services Assignment Help
- Forex Assignment Help
- Financial Statement Analysis Assignment Help
- Capital Budgeting Assignment Help
- Financial Reporting Assignment Help
- International Finance Assignment Help
- Business Finance Assignment Help
- Corporate Finance Assignment Help
- Accounting Assignment Help
- Managerial Accounting Assignment Help
- Taxation Accounting Assignment Help
- Perdisco Assignment Help
- Solve My Accounting Paper
- Business Accounting Assignment Help
- Cost Accounting Assignment Help
- Taxation Assignment Help
- Activity Based Accounting Assignment Help
- Tax Accounting Assignment Help
- Financial Accounting Theory Assignment Help
Computer Science and IT
- Robotics Assignment Help
- Operating System Assignment Help
- Data mining Assignment Help
- Computer Network Assignment Help
- Database Assignment Help
- IT Management Assignment Help
- Network Topology Assignment Help
- Data Structure Assignment Help
- Business Intelligence Assignment Help
- Data Flow Diagram Assignment Help
- UML Diagram Assignment Help
- R Studio Assignment Help
- Law Assignment Help
- Business Law Assignment Help
- Contract Law Assignment Help
- Tort Law Assignment Help
- Social Media Law Assignment Help
- Criminal Law Assignment Help
- Employment Law Assignment Help
- Taxation Law Assignment Help
- Commercial Law Assignment Help
- Constitutional Law Assignment Help
- Corporate Governance Law Assignment Help
- Environmental Law Assignment Help
- Criminology Assignment Help
- Company Law Assignment Help
- Human Rights Law Assignment Help
- Evidence Law Assignment Help
- Administrative Law Assignment Help
- Enterprise Law Assignment Help
- Migration Law Assignment Help
- Communication Law Assignment Help
- Law and Ethics Assignment Help
- Consumer Law Assignment Help
- Humanities Assignment Help
- Sociology Assignment Help
- Philosophy Assignment Help
- English Assignment Help
- Geography Assignment Help
- Agroecology Assignment Help
- Psychology Assignment Help
- Social Science Assignment Help
- Public Relations Assignment Help
- Political Science Assignment Help
- Mass Communication Assignment Help
- History Assignment Help
- Cookery Assignment Help
- Economics Assignment Help
- Managerial Economics Assignment Help
- Econometrics Assignment Help
- Microeconomics Assignment Help
- Business Economics Assignment Help
- Marketing Plan Assignment Help
- Demand Supply Assignment Help
- Comparative Analysis Assignment Help
- Health Economics Assignment Help
- Macroeconomics Assignment Help
- Political Economics Assignment Help
- International Economics Assignments Help
- Academic Writing Services
- Essay Help
- Essay Writing Help
- Essay Help Online
- Online Custom Essay Help
- Descriptive Essay Help
- Help With MBA Essays
- Essay Writing Service
- Essay Writer For Australia
- Essay Outline Help
- illustration Essay Help
- Response Essay Writing Help
- Professional Essay Writers
- Custom Essay Help
- English Essay Writing Help
- Essay Homework Help
- Literature Essay Help
- Scholarship Essay Help
- Research Essay Help
- History Essay Help
- MBA Essay Help
- Plagiarism Free Essays
- Writing Essay Papers
- Write My Essay Help
- Need Help Writing Essay
- Help Writing Scholarship Essay
- Help Writing a Narrative Essay
- Best Essay Writing Service Canada
- Biology Dissertation Help
- Academic Dissertation Help
- Nursing Dissertation Help
- Dissertation Help Online
- MATLAB Dissertation Help
- Doctoral Dissertation Help
- Geography Dissertation Help
- Architecture Dissertation Help
- Statistics Dissertation Help
- Sociology Dissertation Help
- English Dissertation Help
- Law Dissertation Help
- Dissertation Proofreading Services
- Cheap Dissertation Help
- Dissertation Writing Help
- Marketing Dissertation Help
- Write Case Study For Me
- Business Law Case Study Help
- Civil Law Case Study Help
- Marketing Case Study Help
- Nursing Case Study Help
- Case Study Writing Services
- History Case Study help
- Amazon Case Study Help
- Apple Case Study Help
- Case Study Assignment Help
- ZARA Case Study Assignment Help
- IKEA Case Study Assignment Help
- Zappos Case Study Assignment Help
- Tesla Case Study Assignment Help
- Flipkart Case Study Assignment Help
- Contract Law Case Study Assignments Help
- Business Ethics Case Study Assignment Help
- Nike SWOT Analysis Case Study Assignment Help
- Thesis Writing